BookLoversCodex

The Book Lovers Codex

I am a twenty-something, happily married, mother of one who loves books. I love reading them. I love looking at them. I love their smell. Libraries and bookstores are my holy places... No I'm not being blasphemous. Books are my religion and if you don't like that then you're probably reading the wrong blog I love ebooks too. I love how my Kindle can hold thousands of books and wherever I go in the world they can come with me. I love how the emergence of ebooks has resulted in more books being published than ever before - for better or for worse My love of books is the reason for this blog. I want to share it with other people who love books, I'm opinionated and passionate and I want to share those opinions with you and see what you think, do you agree or disagree? I want to hear your opinions and your recommendations... Basically I want to share the book love! I will pretty much read anything that is a romance but I mainly read paranormal romance, urban fantasy, new adult, young adult, and erotica... Plus the odd book here and there that is not a romance of any description! So that's what to expect from this blog. If you like what you see, please follow!
In the Flesh - Sylvia Day, Livia Dare * ARC provided in exchange for an honest review*

This book was previously released back in June 2009 under a Pseudonym of Sylvia Day's - Livia Dare. It's since been re-released in the US on the 24th September 2013 and in the UK on 24th October 2013.

If you are a regular reader of Sylvia Day you will know what to expect in terms of the sexual content of this book. Like all Sylvia Day books, In The Flesh is HOT! Incredibly sensual, explicit, evocative and utterly addictive.

It is set in a futuristic world in which sex for nothing more than pleasure seems to be a core belief of society.

Concubines are highly thought of and valued and undergo years of training before taking up their positions.

Both sexes can serve and throughout the course of their careers they can achieve great wealth and position in society.

What I struggled with in this world was the fact that rich, powerful men had a harem of women and their wives were basically expected to just deal with it.

The King of Sari is in love with his prized concubine Sapphire and refuses anyone elses bed but hers - including his poor wifes!

Sapphire doesn't reciprocate the Kings feelings, feels sorry for the Queen and basically craves more from her life. She is more than happy when the Queen of Sari - to cut a long story short - has her retired.

Retirement in the life of a concubine - at least a successful one like Sapphire - means wealth, independence - freedom.

Sapphire is a very strong woman. She is loyal to those she cares about and feels an instant affinity for Wulf which she doesn't want to feel on account of him being an enemy prince, thus making anything between them impossible without one - or both - of them losing everything.

Wulfric is commanding, ruthless, slightly arrogant, highly intelligent and sexy as hell!

He knows what he wants and he wants Sapphire.

He is conscious of the possible consequences of pursuing Sapphire but he sets about finding work-arounds so that he can have her.

He lets nothing stand in his way and is the driving force in everything that happens between them.

There is plenty of action to go along with the sex 'n' romance.

Lot's of nice twists and turns. Plenty of intrigue.

Overall it is a really enjoyable read.

My only complaint is that the ending leaves loose ends hanging and I'd expect another book to round them off but considering it was originally published years ago it doesn't look likely to happen... Or maybe the fact it has been republished under Sylvia Day means another book will be forthcoming? I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I'll be disappointed if there is not.

I guess to sum it up I'd say that it doesn't steal your soul the way the Crossfire books do but it is definitely on par with Day's regency works, so I definitely recommend!

4 out of 5 stars