BookLoversCodex

The Book Lovers Codex

I am a twenty-something, happily married, mother of one who loves books. I love reading them. I love looking at them. I love their smell. Libraries and bookstores are my holy places... No I'm not being blasphemous. Books are my religion and if you don't like that then you're probably reading the wrong blog I love ebooks too. I love how my Kindle can hold thousands of books and wherever I go in the world they can come with me. I love how the emergence of ebooks has resulted in more books being published than ever before - for better or for worse My love of books is the reason for this blog. I want to share it with other people who love books, I'm opinionated and passionate and I want to share those opinions with you and see what you think, do you agree or disagree? I want to hear your opinions and your recommendations... Basically I want to share the book love! I will pretty much read anything that is a romance but I mainly read paranormal romance, urban fantasy, new adult, young adult, and erotica... Plus the odd book here and there that is not a romance of any description! So that's what to expect from this blog. If you like what you see, please follow!
Dangerous - Jacquelyn Frank It is not going to be possible to go into much detail on this story without getting spoilery but I’ve tried to get across what I thought without giving too much away.

I’m not sure if this book is supposed to be set in the future or present day in an alternate time-line of our world.

The basic premise of the story is that there are two races on our planet. Humans and Morphates. You find out what Morphates are about three chapters into the book but basically they were created by a mad scientist experimenting on people in an attempt to develop a cure to aging. The two races do not get along (bit of an understatement).

The book begins with a security firm (part owned by Liam Nash) being hired to protect the reclusive Devon Candler.

First impressions of Liam are that he is no-nonsense, straight talking, highly skilled, has a strong code of ethics and is a consummate professional… However, the minute this consummate professional meets Devon Candler he is consumed by lust and his unshakable code of ethics seems to slowly burn up in the heat between the two characters until it is no longer in existence.

Sounds like it would be enjoyable watching the burn, yes? Well it wasn’t. I just didn’t feel anything between these characters beyond lust, truly I was sick of reading how sexy and alluring Devon/Liam was by a third of the way through. How dangerous.

The book was well written (in terms of the language used by the writer – the turn of phrase) but, in my opinion, the pacing was off. The premise of the story was good and I know that the first book in any series has to set the scene and build a world but I felt the story was too bogged down in some areas and too stingy with the info in others. I just didn’t really care about the characters, I could not have cared less whether Devon Candler lived or died…

I really struggled to finish this book, I couldn’t get lost in it and I felt like I’d been reading it forever therefore I’d need a lot of persuasion to read any more books in this series… Although second (and subsequent) books tend to be less bogged down in details, so I’ll never say never.

I’d say if you like futuristic/Sci-Fi with romantic elements or paranormal romance then give it a go, it wasn’t awful, I just didn’t feel this one.

2 out of 5 stars.